DHL expands parcel handling capacity with new Dubai World Central facility
In 2019, Lödige Industries has equipped the new DHL Dubai World Central facility with state-of-the-art technology. DHL expands their parcel handling capacity to support further e-commerce growth. Lödige Industries completed the installation of a new materials handling system in December 2019.
About the Dubai World Central facility
Located at the Logistics District at Dubai World Central (DWC), the centre occupies a 4,870 sqm area and has a capacity to manage 2,400 shipments per hour and up to 57,600 shipments a day. It is a combined Service Centre and Gateway facility, capable of handling DHL Express TDI & DDI products.
Handling 57,600 shipments a day with state-of-the-art technology
The United Arab Emirates has successfully managed to build a leading position in the world’s thriving shipping market. By implementing the new Dubai World Central facility, DHL meets the UAE e-commerce growth targets.
Improved parcel handling - A typical delivery van provides parcel sizes from small boxes up to big packages. The material handling system can accommodate parcel sizes from 200mm to 2100mm. This gives DHL maximum flexibility in handling all types of shipments.
The new DHL Gateway System at Dubai World Central Airport automatically connects internal parking and unloading areas inside the warehouse with several exception handling areas.Parcels are arriving in two bi-directional inbound waves per day from both, freighters on the airside and delivery vans on the landside. All parcels are being scanned and x-rayed. Therefore, feed and takeaway conveyors are being slaved to the scanners in continuous loops until being confirmed and booked. The conveyors start and stop in line with the operator starting and stopping the scanner. In order to enable faster and more efficient sorting of packages, the new materials handling system (MHS) features bi-directional handling. Inbound shipments may be subjected to physical inspection by Dubai Customs. Pieces with insufficient data are automatically diverted to the “Bad Address Validation Area”.
Supporting DHLs quality control – All processes are managed in line with the DHL’s quality processes to ensure each piece is quality checked to guarantee DHL system data and physical paperwork is correct. This benefits smooth onward transit through the DHL network up until final consignee delivery and allows DHL access to track shipments across the globe and adjusting processes dynamically as needed.
Reduced delivery and collection times - The new DHL Dubai World Central facility enables DHL to cover a wider UAE network. At the same time, the state-of-the-art MHS has a significant impact on the reduction of delivery and collection times. This transfers to an improved client service as well as customer experience with DHL.
About the customer
Deutsche Post DHL is the world’s largest logistics company established in more than 220 countries and territories. DHL is a leading courier, parcel and express mail services. As a "family of divisions," the DHL divisions offer an unrivalled portfolio of logistics services ranging from national and international parcel delivery, e-commerce shipping and fulfilment solutions, international express, road, air and ocean freight transport to industrial supply chain management.
- Client: DHL Express
- Location: Dubai World Central Airport, United Arab Emirates
- Completion date: 12/2019
- Capacity: 57,600 shipments a day, 2,600 per hours
- System: Bidirectional automated parcel handling system
Challenges for DHL and the new MHS in Dubai
- The United Arab Emirates maintain a leading position in the world’s thriving shipping market, increasing shipment capacity targets
- Parcels are being delivered in two daily waves and are moreover being fed and dispensed from opposite entrances
- The new materials handling system for DHL needs to automatically connect internal parking and unloading areas inside the warehouse with several exception handling areas
- Parcel sizes from small boxes to big packages need to be automatically handled within the new materials handling system
- All processes need to be managed in line with DHL Quality processes
Parcel handling solution and benefits for DHL in Dubai
- In order to meet the UAE e-commerce growth targets, DHL implemented the new Dubai World Central facility
- Bi-directional handling enables DHL to flexibly connect several areas within the warehouse
- The materials handling system can accommodate parcel sizes from 200mm to 2100mm, giving DHL maximum flexibility in handling all types of shipments
- Integrated x-ray scanners and a 5-sided tunnel scanner ensure each piece is quality checked in line with DHL quality processes
- The state-of-the-art MHS has a significant impact on the reduction of delivery and collection times and therefor improved client service as well as customer experience with DHL
„E-Commerce in the region is booming and there is demand to deliver more efficient customer benefits through our enhanced shipping solutions. Our new facility at DWC will accommodate inbound and outbound shipment growth in Dubai South, the new strategic hub in the emirate.”
- Nour Suliman, CEO, DHL Express MENA