Automated parking system enabling 47 spaces for The Eddy
In 2015, Lödige Industries installed the first automated parking system in Ottawa for Windmill Developments. It enables parking for 47 cars and serves residential parking in “The Eddy” building.
The Eddy building
The Eddy is a six storey condo tower, containing 52 condos and was designed by Christopher Simmonds Architects. The building is conceived, designed and constructed to protect and enhance the local community and its ecosystems.
Maximising the amount of parking spaces on restricted unconventional footprint
Our customer Windmill Developments’ main challenge of this building was an unconventional footprint and therefor required a unique customized parking solution. This parking solution on the one hand needed to use less space, but at the same time create enough parking spaces to provide to the condo owners. The 5BY2 pallet-based technology from Lödige Industries enabled a maximum of parking slots and reduced the required space. Key success factor of the 5BY2 technology, especially for this project at The Eddy, is the flexibility of integrating the automated parking system into almost any footprint. Flexibility, in combination with the removal of a need for an access ramp, generated 47 parking spaces for Windmill Developments within The Eddy project. A conventional parking garage was neither feasible and nor would it have been able to provide enough parking spaces.
About Windmill Developments
Windmill Development Group (“Windmill”), based in Ottawa, Canada is a visionary company dedicated to transforming conventional development practices by using a triple bottom line approach to the projects. This ensures that strong ecological, social and financial returns are achieved in all projects. Everything is conceived, designed and constructed to protect and enhance the local community and its ecosystems.
Facts and figures
Resident car park
Number of levels:
Challenges at The Eddy project
- The Eddy is a corner property with an unconventional restricted footprint and therefor challenging to integrate the necessary amount of parking spaces with conventional parking.
- Windmill Developments wanted to provide the maximum number of parking spaces.
- Conceiving, designing and constructing buildings to protect and enhance the local community and its ecosystems are part of Windmill Developments’ overall aim.
Solution and benefits for Windmill Developments
- Lödige installed an automated parking system with 5BY2 parking technology in order to flexibly use the buildings footprint.
- Due to this flexibility of the automated parking system, the amount of parking spaces was maximised. This flexibility is the key success factor for The Eddy.
- Providing a comfortable parking experience for the condo owners und users, entry and exit to the 5BY2 system is granted via radio transmitter.
- In comparison to conventional parking processes, automated parking reduces emissions significantly and therefor goes in line with Windmill Developments’ approach of enhancing the local environment.